The 87th Masters is underway, and golf fans are excited to watch the first major of the year. This is also the first major to feature players from both the PGA Tour and LIV Golf.
The PGA Tour suspended all players who joined LIV Golf, but the Masters is not a PGA Tour event, so the LIV golfers are allowed to compete. The tournament features a field of 88 players, including 18 players from LIV Golf (now 17 after Kevin Na withdrew Thursday morning). It will be interesting to see who comes out on top.
Scottie Scheffler is the current world number one player and a favorite to win the tournament again. Other top picks include Rory McIlroy, Jon Rahm, Jordan Spieth, and Cameron Smith. Of course, with Tiger in the field, much of the focus will be on him regardless of how he plays.
Who do you think will be wearing the green jacket on Sunday?
Speaking of the green jacket, here are a few fun facts about it.
- The original green jackets were made in 1937 by Brooks Uniform Company in New York. In 1967, Hamilton Tailoring Co. near Cincinnati began making them. Augusta members wore the jackets during the Masters so people attending would know who would have accurate information.
- It takes roughly a month to produce a jacket for a new Masters champion. The winner’s name is stitched into the inside label. The jacket presented to the winner at the awards ceremony is borrowed from an Augusta National member with a similar build.
- Sam Snead was the first Masters champion to be presented with a green jacket after winning the 1949 Masters. Each previous winner was then retroactively awarded a green jacket by Augusta National.
- It is estimated that it costs about $250 to make the jacket.
- Only the current champion can take his jacket home and only for one year. At the end of the year, it must be returned to Augusta National Golf Club, where it remains carefully stored.
- Masters champions receive only one green jacket no matter how many times they win. If they win multiple times, they are presented with the same jacket.
- You cannot buy an official green jacket from Augusta National Golf Club or Hamilton Tailoring Co.
In honor of the 87th Masters, we are offering a special sale of $87 off any Bloodline putter. We are also offering a limited-edition Vale putter and headcover. To order, visit bloodline.golf. To receive the discount, enter MASTERS23 at checkout.
This Sunday is also Easter and we wish you wonderful Easter weekend!